Wednesday 11 March 2015

day eleven

The problem with being a mzungu in Kenya is that they can see you blush.

Background: For this internship, I'm based at Iguhu District Hospital, which is the sub-county headquarters for Ikolomani, also known as Kakamega South. How it works in Kenya the country is devided into 47 counties, and each county is devided into sub-counties - I'm in the Kakamega county and it's devided into five sub-counties. It is then broken down further to village and sub-village - for example, I live in Makhokho village and Ikumu sub-village. Each village and sub-village also has a chief. Pretty cool huh?

My role for this internship is to work with the Public Health officers and the Laboratory staff to come up with a project/s, and then carry those projects out. The projects need to be in keeping with the principles of sustainable development, that is, "development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs" (UN).

There are no words that can describe how awesome this sign is 
So for the past few days I have been sitting in various departments, e.g. the laboratory, VCT testing, registration, to see how their department works, what assets are there and what the people bring to the facility. And let me just say the people are what make Iguhu District Hospital a fantastic place. Especially the laboratory - they won best department for 2014! 

Me and Sammy holding the trophy for Best Department 2014.
I have no idea why I am holding it, but it's still cool!
Anyway, it's on this tour through the facility that a recurring theme arises... that I am single. "Oh, we will find you a Kenyan man" the women say. "No, I am here to work", I reply. "Ah, that is okay, you do your work, and we will find him for you"... and then comes out my list of polite but blunt rejections to their offer:
I am too expensive - a mzungu with two masters degrees, I cost 200 cows and 2 million Ksh in one payment, no paying off... "Ah, Anita we will find you a very rich man"
My parents are very strict, so he would have to fly to Australia to ask for their permission to date me... "Anita, we will find you a man who has a passport"
I would not make a good Kenyan wife - I want to work and get my PhD, I don't want to be home cooking and cleaning for him... "Anita, the young men these days, they are enlightened. They know you are a learned woman. We will find you one who will respect your work"
I have my heart set on someone back home... "Anita, if you have someone back home, then why did they let you come to Kenya for a whole year. No, the right man for you is in Kenya"

This goes on and on and on... it is rather embarrassing and makes me continually blush. They are worse than my Mum when she is in a Mrs Bennett mood! It's not that I wouldn't want to find someone, it's that I am here for my internship, and a relationship is just not an option right now. Try telling that to a bunch of Kenyan women...

"Oh Anita, okay, you will focus on your work, but if the right man comes along, we will tell you, because you should have a Kenyan man, it would be good for you"

I cannot win

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha....That's hilarious! When you write your memoir, 30% of your Kenyan chapter will be about your work, your experience, your host family, the connections you made, and 70% will be about how they tried to matchmake you with Kenyan men. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! At least they are looking out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why rule out dating a Kenyan man? There may be a hot Kenyan doctor at the hospital so seeing him could happen around work... ;-) This is becoming a very interesting story, please continue to keep us updated! xx

    ReplyDelete

I like it when you comment; it makes me happy!