Tuesday 1 October 2013

dismayed

Dismayed (verb) to break down the courage completely, as by sudden danger or trouble; dishearten thoroughly; daunted

This is how I have been feeling since the the beginning of March, when it dawned on me how flipping huge my MInfecDis [MID] project and subsequent epidemiological [epi] project for my MPhil(App Epi) [MAE] was getting - over 1,000 environmental samples, approximately 300 faecal samples, statistical analysis of 300 medical questionnaires, a validation study of sampling tools, two potential journal articles and two theses.

I think that's a fair reason to be overwhelmed.

But just five minutes ago I set up my last set of validation experiments, which when run shall be completed by this Friday, leaving all of next week for me to complete my MID thesis with submission on Friday the 11th of October, 2013.

When I first felt overwhelemed I wrote up this verse I have had it stuck to my desk
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go" Joshua 1:9 ESV

It has rung true at so many moments, and I know that it will continue to ring true until December 12, 2014 when my final oral examination is complete, and even after that when I finally get a job - the Lord my God will be with me wherever I go, He will strengthen me and encourage me.

There's still my MAE epi project to complete - the other 500 environmental samples, the faecal and medical questionnaires - but right now I feel like I've achieved greatness. I honestly wanted to quit so many times so far, and I know that with all the projects I have got coming up that I will want to quit many more times over. But next Friday is seeming achievable to me right now.

This is my mapping out what I need to put in my thesis
#thesiscountdown = 10 days



No comments:

Post a Comment

I like it when you comment; it makes me happy!