Thursday 23 October 2014

far away

"far away, far away, far... far away we want to go, we want to go, some day, some da-a-a-a-aay" Sophie Maurin, Far Away

For the majority of my life I have wanted to live overseas. I remember as a teenager at high school I would bring back all these pamphelts about foreign exchange, dreaming that my parents could afford to send me overseas, especially to Canada. Then during uni I would look at the exchange program, only for them to tell me my grades weren't good enough, besides the fact that I had no money.

Everything changed when I went to a  public lecture at Melbourne Uni regarding some thing about sustainable development, and the guy said something like "everyone thinks that in order to do aid work you have to be a doctor or a nurse, but that's not true. Every single profession is required on the field; from CEO's of companies teaching business, to bankers helping in micro-finance, to Lab technicians helping in the lab, to teachers and physios and lawyers and basically everyone can be used. And if it's not your thing to go work overseas, then you can be used here, by earning money to send those people who want to go".

That one statement changed my whole outlook on life.

I hope that it changes yours too.

You might not have thought about the fact that  your job could be useful overseas, but as a banker you have incredible knowledge of how to manage finances, which such education is lacking in many parts of the world.

You might think that you might not be able to physically go overseas, but you have a few hours spare that you could do some online volunteering for the UN: http://www.unv.org/

You earn money to send people like myself to go and volunteer - shameless plug: www.youcaring.com/get-anita-to-kakamega/

You are parents or siblings or partners of people who have a desire to be useful; your love and support means more to those people than you will ever know.

Everyone can be useful. You have been born for such a time as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like it when you comment; it makes me happy!