Monday 2 March 2015

day one

"we might have watches, but we don't have the time"...

My first full day here in Kenya and I've already experienced "Africa Time" - the FSD site team here in Kakamega has written up this whole schedule for my orientation, but after about the first 15 minutes I knew that it was just going to be more of a rough guide to what might be going on these first few days.
The view from the window flying from Nairobi to Kisumu

I arrived last night at Kakamega, after travelling for almost 25 hours to get here. The roads to Kakamega are rather interesting to say the least - any of my civil eng friends out there would have a field day looking at the methods employed in the of slowing down traffic. The town is rather hilly and busy and noisy, and there's four shopping malls, several banking institutions including Barclays, and the Nakumatt has an incredible selection of chocolate. So I think I'll be fine *wink*

So here's what has happened/what I know so far...

  • The Foundation for Sustainable Development (FSD) has a site team in Kakamega, consisting of Peter the Director, Pollyne the Local Coordinator, Rachel the International Coordinator and the office admin lady (sorry, I've forgotten her name)
  • I am the only intern starting in this session - there was supposed to be another guy coming at this time but unfortunately he pulled out two weeks ago. There'll be about ten interns starting in June, but until then I'm on my own.
  • I'm staying in Kakamega town until Wednesday, when I'll then move to my host family in Iguhu. They live basically across the highway from my workplace, so I'll be able to walk to work. 
  • I've gotten myself a Kenyan sim, so I'm contactable via email or whatsapp, and a dongle modem, which explains how I've managed to write this post.

Other than than that there's nothing really to report - I'm off to have dinner and then to bed - ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like it when you comment; it makes me happy!