Wednesday 4 March 2015

day three

The last two days have been busy with orientation - learning the key concepts and principles behind sustainable development, with lessons on grant writing and online fundraising and work plans... all of this will be extremely useful in the future,  but for now I'm just listening and taking notes whilst wishing I could get a cup of coffee with cold milk. Cold milk? Yes, apparently everyone likes their milk hot here, and whilst I'm glad I can get a cup of coffee (even if it is just instant coffee), the smell of heated milk makes me want to puke. The previous night I woke with a terrible headache, most likely due to caffeine withdrawals. It's probably for the best, but I would like a cup of coffee...

I thought I'd share some pictures as I know some of you are wondering what it looks like and what I'm eating etc. etc.

On my way to work, passing a field with cows and a school, with the big developments in the background

The back lane behind the FSD office. Except for the three main roads, the roads are unsealed and very dusty. There are no footpaths and most roads, even the sealed ones, are uneven and littered with potholes.
I said to the waiter that I'd like some fish, as I was told to try it, and he said "how would you like it?" to which I said he could decide. So this is what I got - Talapia fish with chipati. Lots of tomatoes and fresh herbs in the sauce. 
Beef stew with chapati. Pollyne said that we Mzungus eat to be full, but they eat to eat food! The serving sizes I've had so far are really generous, so there goes my plans of loosing my thesis weight this year...
Tomorrow I move from the hotel to my host family, so there will be plenty to update y'all with. But as Peter says "pole pole (slowly slowly) you are here for a whole year, don't rush". I think I'm going to get along really well with the site team.

Okay, goodnight! kwaheri xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like it when you comment; it makes me happy!