Friday 10 April 2015

day forty two

I thought I'd share with you my new love... Kenyan chapatis! I've estimated the measurements for you to cook a normal sized batch, as we tend to cook for the entire army at home.

Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil (we use vegetable oil I think)
water (make sure it's safe for drinking)
Solid vegetable cooking fat - I know that sound gross, but it makes it taste amazeballs. You could use butter as a substitute I think.

Instructions
1. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Add one tablespoon of oil and mix with your hands - it should become the consistency of sand.
3. Add enough water to make the dough elastic - if it's too wet add more flour
4. Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape to the thickness of approx. half a centimetre, and smear on the solid fat
5. Cut strips of about 5cm wide
6. Roll each strip into a swirl, like a snail, leaving the last section free
7. Take the last section and push it into the middle of the swirl (hopefully the pictures help explain)


8. Roll each snail into a flat circle, again about half a centimetre thick


9. In a dry frypan, cook each side lightly, then place onto a plate and cover whilst you cook the rest (We place them into a bowl with a tablecloth).
10. Once you've lightly cooked them all, add some frying agent (we use the solid vegetable cooking fat again, but you could use oil), and fry each one again. You kind of have to guess when their ready - obviously you don't want them to burn but you don't want to each raw dough either. Again cover them whilst you cook the rest - this covering process makes them super soft!

11. Do I need to instruct you what is next? EAT THEM!!! You can eat them on their own (which we do for lunch) or we eat them with nyama na soup which is kinda like a beef stew, or  ndengu which is like a stew made from green grams.

source

Thanks to Anita for having the patience to teach me, especially because I can't seem to make them even sizes... hahaha, and for letting me take pictures of the process. And no, I am not thanking myself, I seriously live with another Anita - and get this - we are both born Feb 1986 (I'm five days older) and we both have a younger sister named Lauren. BOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like it when you comment; it makes me happy!