Wednesday 8 April 2015

day fourty

Have I mentioned that I have a fantastic Mum who has great foresight? Back in February my Mum bought me my Easter egg (a Humpty Dumpty egg of course!) which I dutifully packed in my bag thinking she was ridiculous but nevertheless I would take it with me. However I admit my ridiculousness was misplaced, and on Monday when I got back from Nairobi I was one very happy Aussie to have my Humpty Dumpty egg - a little piece of home *tear*

Why did I have to wait 'til Monday for my Humpty Dumpty egg? Because I went to Nairobi for the long weekend! For those who suck at geography, Nairobi is the capital city of Kenya. There is approximately 3.4 million people residing within Nairobi in a space of 696 km2 (269 sq mi), and after living in peri-urban Kakamega county for the past six weeks, boy did I feel crowded!

Despite feeling like a fish out of water, I had a great time staying with Mumma J's sister Aunty B and Bubba D and their three daughters. Staying with locals meant that I stayed in the suburbs, rode the matatus, and paid slightly less than mzungu price when shopping at the markets. But the best part was that I got to use their oven to make brownies... ahhhhhh I felt like myself yet again.



Of course we also did some touristy things....

We went to the Masaai market where I exhibited great restraint and only bought myself one necklace despite all of the amazingly gorgeous things there. 

We went to the top of the KICC building to get a birdseye view of Nairobi city.  




We went to the AFEW Giraffe Centre and not only fed the Giraffes but also saw some interesting action *wink wink*






 And of course I went to find out what all the fuss was about at the Nairobi Java House.


Overall it was a great weekend - I loved hanging out with the girls and seeing the city. And on the way home I was treated with sightings of actual zebras, antelope and even some monkeys trying to cross the highway! seriously, actual wild animals not in the zoo!


Even though Kenya is small in size it is incredible in nature. And I swear the sky is bigger here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like it when you comment; it makes me happy!