Thursday 2 July 2015

day one hundred and twenty six

This past weekend saw me cross the four month mark of living in Kenya... part of me is counting down the days until this is all over, the other part can't believe this is going so fast! I feel like I'm starting to settle in, I've got local friends and favourite shops and enough Swahili vocabulary to tell people to use their urine to go away... mwah ha ha ha. Now to push on, continue with the good work and fight the good fight.

My ever amazing Mum sent me another parcel of Aussie goodies, which makes me feel loved as I love getting presents and knowing that someone is thinking about me even if I live three plane flights away. 


The thing I was most excited about receiving was a block of Cadbury chocolate with Vegemite. Sure I'm like really slow to the game here, but hey better late than never right? (although some of you might argue never for this)



Earlier in the year I shared the glorious taste of Vegemite with my Kenyan workmates and family... yeah they hated it. Which is perfectly fine for me, as it means I don't feel guilty not sharing it with everyone. So having remembered that taste I gave them a piece of the Cadbury special and documented their facial expressions...

The first victim was Lucy, and she wasn't entirely sure about it.



Pollyne didn't seem to understand that I wanted a response to the taste of this incredible delicacy, but instead posed beautifully for the photo.



Rachael hated it. Her facial expression is absolutely brilliant!



Lydia thought it was okay...



...but Masinde hated it and proceeded to argue with me about Cadbury being a Kenyan brand (pfft).


Sarafina has an Aussie sister-in-law so I was happy to see her licking her fingers and enjoying it.



Baby Tashley hated it so much she spat it out.


Mama J seemed to like it but mostly was laughing at Baby Tashley.


Nicole just likes anything with sugar it in.


Harry thought it was interesting enough to read the package.


As for me... I wasn't too sure about it. Honestly I was slightly disappointed that it didn't taste terrible - I wanted it to be awful and shocking. You could only slightly taste the Vegemite, otherwise it was just a really sticky caramel chocolate. Despite this it was super delicious to eat Aussie Cadbury again, nothing really tastes the same.


My mum also sent me one packet of BBQ Shapes, because last time she sent me five and I ate them all in one go, which defeats the purpose of sending mini-packets rather than a big box. I thought I would be generous and also share this packet of awesome with Harry, who didn't like them...


…. he loved them! I told him if he liked those he'll love Pizza Shapes.


So there you go, overall people seemed to not hate it. As for the other goodies in the package, they are for me to devour and share only with the special people. Sorry everyone else.

Just a quick update on the dooming visa deadline and required trip to Addis Ababa... my car still hasn't sold but I have received some donations (thank you so much!). If you can spare even just $20 that'd help me get to Addis Ababa for the few days I need in order to return to Kenya and get a new visa. You can send it through paypal (theanita1 at gmail dot com) or to my Australian bank account (email me for numbers). Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like it when you comment; it makes me happy!