Wednesday 23 September 2015

the next steps

Great news! I got a new visa to enter Kenya (yay!) so will be heading back next week Thursday, arriving in Kenya just in time for the weekend. Woot woot! However after some careful consideration I've shortened my time there to only doing a further three months, as I feel that's all that is necessary. So I'll be finishing up work on the 18th of December and then taking in the sights of Kenya, coming home January 2. It'll be good to get back and finish up those projects, write up my reports and put steps in place for future development.

Whilst I've been home I've been thinking about what on earth happens after Kenya? I'll now have working experience in a developing country, two Masters degrees under my belt and a decent debt owing to the Bank of Mum and Dad...

Probably should get a job right?

I'm sure every Graduate goes through this process, but seriously, where are all the entry-level jobs? I spend hours scanning the jobs pages and every time I come across a great sounding job it requires "at least five years experience", "in-country experience" "working knowledge of blah blah blah", "experience working with global partners" and other shitty descriptions like that. I've followed the big-wigs advice - I've got a workable Masters degree in my industry, I've done an unpaid internship in a developing nation, I've got a LinkedIn account and joined groups and followed people and watched youtube lectures and done online short courses... so now what? How do I get my first job? Is there something I'm missing? Where are the jobs?

Sigh... all I can do is keep plugging away and pray there is a job out there for me somewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like it when you comment; it makes me happy!